This course is now fully booked.
ERC 22 will run from 4:30pm on Thurs 31st March and finish with lunch on Thurs 7th April. The venue is The Hayes Conference Centre Derbyshire DE55 1AU www.cct.org.uk/the-hayes/the-hayes-conference-centre
The Hayes is set in beautiful grounds and over the last few years has been refurbished. Accommodation on site is only available for those coming for the whole week. All bedrooms are en-suite.
The pandemic is far from over and we have carried out our own risk assessment in order to make ERC as safe as possible. Everyone has their own views on COVID safety but we would ask you please to comply with our policy. This will be based on the state of the pandemic next Spring and the latest medical and government advice but is likely to include the following:
- Wearing a mask in public spaces (unless medically exempt).
- Socially distanced layout in playing rooms.
- No sharing of instruments, although quarantined instruments will be available for individuals for the duration of the course.
- Negative lateral flow test prior to arrival on the course
- Be fully vaccinated
- The arrangements for shops will also be slightly different, as it will not be possible for people to casually try instruments. We will review the situation next spring to ensure that buying instruments and having instruments repaired during the course will operate strictly within appropriate health and safety guidelines.
Our tutors for 2022 will be: Andrew Challinger, Annabel Knight, Brian Blood, David Moses, Janice Ormerod, Josef Manser, Julie Dean, Pam Smith and Ruth Burbidge.
The first session each day will be a choice of 4 technique classes.
There will be two orchestras running for the week: the ‘classic’ orchestra and the ‘advanced chamber’ orchestra. You must attend all week to be able to play in either of the orchestras.
In order to play in the ‘classic’ orchestra you should have previous orchestral experience and feel comfortable playing one-to-a-part.
In celebration of a return to orchestral playing, the repertoire for 2022 will be three of Pam and Jan’s favourite pieces for recorder orchestra:
Glen Shannon – Mountain Mosaic
Dietrich Schnabel – Sinfonietta;
Rosemary Robinson – Rainsbrook Suite
If you are unsure whether you are experienced enough to play in the orchestra, Pam is happy to send you a pdf of one of the pages of the part you want to play and that should help you to reach a decision. You must give three choices of instrument and at least one of your choices should be a bass recorder of some variety.
The Advanced Chamber Orchestra will be conducted jointly by Andrew and David and the repertoire will be rhythmic and tricky. Please think carefully about whether you will cope and feel free to ask for a sample pdf to help you make a decision.
We are very happy to say that although there will be no renaissance band, there will be gemshorns! Janice and Monique will be quarantining instruments before the course in order to loan them to people for the duration of the course. If you have your own instrument, please bring it along.
Some other additions to the timetable include:
- A fifteen-minute daily warm-up session with Annabel.
- A selection of talks in the evening for those who would like something different from a tutti playing session.
- The Paetzold Files – a workshop on exploring the possibilities of your Paetzold recorder and how to get the best out of it. (There will be two opportunities to go to this session, in case it clashes with something else you want to attend.)
- A sneak preview of Julie’s History of the Catch and Round prior to publication.
- Three stand-alone Renaissance facsimile ensemble sessions with Pam.
- An opportunity to play from the baroque facsimile of John Banister’s Sett of Ayres with Julie (or the modern transcription, if you’d rather not).
- In Annabel’s Boismortier session, Monday at 4:30, you will have the chance to either play or dance a minuet. Please bring along any size of recorder you fancy playing, a smaller one if you want to try out some authentic french ornamentation!
We look forward to seeing you there!